Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I can see food clearly now




The book we have been reading, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, A year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver has been incredibly enjoyable. It is such a wonderful read that I find myself looking forward to each chapter with longing titillation. She beautifully writes about the challenges and gifts of eating locally. Her daughter adds delicious recipes with each chapter and her husband contributes interesting politics and facts. This book has indeed changed the way I see food. I thought I was well informed in this area. Since starting this class I realize it is just the tip of a melting iceberg. They have a lovely website with recipes and more information at http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/.

On July 18th Erin, Sam and I went to the
CAGJ's annual fundraiser, Strengthening Local Economies Everywhere Fair & Dinner, http://www.seattleglobaljustice.org/slee-dinner/. We had a great time looking at all the booths and talking to the vendors. Dinner was a local fresh treat. I just got the latest newsletter in my email, which states "The Fair was fun and festive, and the dinner was well-attended. As appetizers were served, CAGJ presented our three programs, and Steve Williamson delivered a compelling keynote pointing to the important challenges of building cross-sectoral unity for food workers' rights. We honored the food workers and farmers eating with us, broke bread together, and sung "Pastures of Plenty" as the delicious and beautiful dinner was served."

We were placed at a table with a few other nice people who we enjoyed meeting, especially Eric from Jubilee Biodynamic Farm, http://www.jubileefarm.org/index.html. He was a philosophy professor before he became a farmer. Talking with him was inspirational for me and I am now compelled to go visit his farm on August 22nd for CAGJ's upcoming Teach Out, http://www.seattleglobaljustice.org/2009/07/join-cagjs-teach-out-sat-aug-22-visit-jubilee-farm-local-roots-farm/. Does anyone want to join me?

3 comments:

  1. Very nice Elise--looks like Sam was eating a loaf of bread the size of her head! Glad that you enjoyed the CAGJ dinner--iLEAP usually tables there, but this year we were just too burned out to make it happen. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise,

    Your posting about Barbara Kingsolver's book on her efforts to eat locally for a year, and how your own views on food are changing are fascinating. I'm reconsidering my own relationship to food, based on what I'm reading on this blog. Looking forward to hearing more about your discoveries as you all continue.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I am learning so much and the way I live my life is changing. I have interviewed, along with Erin and Sam, some amazing community members who are making an exciting difference, all in unique ways which I will write about soon. I look at food now as something so intimately precious. and what I have been sustaining myself on most of the time, is so void of true life.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete