Saturday, September 5, 2009

Summer School Can Be Dangerously Unproductive


As some of you might have noticed, I have not posted in a while. While the subjects I'm studying are interesting to me, I find myself saying "YES!" to social activities far more often than to homework. I've never been very good at studying during the summer. I remember having a list of books to read for high school and waiting until August to actually start them, cursing under my breath that I was missing out on the last few free days I had. This summer seems to be no exception.

Trying to buckle down I've spent some time at the UW library, reading through the Socologia Ruralis Journal that Britt suggested I look at. It sounds dull, right? For someone who's into agriculture and history and sociological phenomenas, this is like the jackpot. Suddenly, I'm reading about "Women in Rural Farming Communities", "Medicinal Folk and Foods in Southwestern Germany", and "Transcending the Gender Imbalance in Historical Agricultural Societies". HOLY CRAP, I've been studying the wrong subject and feel pulled to explore the roles of gender in agriculture. Who knew there was such a thing?!

For the most part, I have been sheltered from this issue by working in organic farming and often in egalitarian communities. Whenever I have stepped out this bubble, I attributed the shock at my ability to use a shovel or drive a tractor as a matter of ignorance and an exception, not as a rule to how the world works. Perhaps it was growing up in a home with muddled gender roles, it does not occur to me that women "can't do" certain things, or anything for that matter. It fascinates me to learn how others are pushed down because of their gender, be they women or men, and I feel compelled to explore this more. I'm not sure where this will take me, but I'm curious to find out...

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie, undoubtedly you have noticed that you are not the only one who has had trouble focusing on schoolwork this quarter. Today I find myself sitting inside, trying desperately to catch up on my assignments on one of the most beautiful days in a while.
    In my readings, I've found myself being pulled further and further away from what I expected to learn, as it seems you have as well. I'm glad that you have been learning a lot, even if it's been unexpected. This week, i finally read an essay that reinforced my learning goal of food and human co-evolution. I'll be sharing that soon.

    I hope your social events have been fulfilling.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it sounds like there has been some productivity! Exploring the roles of gender in agriculture sounds very interesting - I look forward to hearing more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, you didn't tell me about your budding interest in gender and agriculture--I've got oodles of stuff around that! There was actually just an article in the Seattle TImes (on 8/30/09, I cannot paste the URL b/c blogger thinks this is spam)...another book to look at is Gendered Fields by Carolyn Sachs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great comments! Yes, I have been productive, but not in the areas that I had planned (though I suppose that's not all *bad* per se). Yes, Britt, we should chat more about this over the weekend, perhaps over some spiced German wine... ;)

    ReplyDelete