Friday, September 11, 2009

The Tourist Test



Looking back through all of my Kamana II course materials from his quarter and the work that I have done, I thought it might be a good idea to share the initial evaluation, which tested my knowledge of my local ecology. If you would like to participate and have about an hour to spare, then follow the link below. The Tourist Test is in a PDF half way down the page. Jon Young, who is the founder of the Wilderness Awareness School in Duvall, Washington, developed the test. I would love to hear your experience with the test and engage with you in discussion online or during the next residency.

http://www.wildernessawareness.org/home_study/kamana_samples.html

My Tourist Test Reflection from back in July.

I really have a lot to learn. I can’t believe how much I don’t know about common plants and animals the surround me everyday. I have a BA in Social Ecology but I know very little about ecology. I think that I am ignorant to the natural world around me because I am not forced to rely on it for my survival in the short term. Tomorrow and the next day I can go about my daily business and not interact with the natural world at all. However, I know full well that in the long term, if I continue to ignore the natural world, I am actually jeopardizing the longevity of my own survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment