Monday, July 20, 2009


If you would have told me that I would be spending time in graduate school investigating how to connect people interested in salmon recovery through internet tools like Twitter and blogging, I would have turned my nose up at you. In fact, I couldn’t even figure out how to post to this blog until today. You might be thinking that things aren’t really looking good for me considering I don’t even have a Facebook account and this is my first blog entry EVER (note the year). But alas, here I am wondering how to share information, tools, and ideas across regions, groups and cultures in order to build more a collaborative and cohesive strategy to restore wild salmon.

Needless to say, this seems like a daunting task and I am often wondering if it is even possible to bring such diverse interest groups together through something as abstract as the internet. This is definitely the road less traveled. However, the more I talk about it with people, the more momentum the idea gains and the more connections I make. Two months ago, I crossed paths with a woman who implements Kitsap County’s salmon restoration program and is a strong champion for strengthening the dialogue among salmon recovery participants. Just yesterday I was talking with one of the regulars at the coffee shop in which I work. She has been coming in before I started working there nine months ago, but never had I known what she did for a living. Turns out she works with social media to bring together communities around ideas or businesses and is interested in helping me get started using WordPress, anyone familiar?

So the lesson this week is a reiteration of the importance of community, whether it is on the internet or in the corner coffee shop. Often our best resources are right in front of us. I find comfort in the thought that even if my idea for an online dialogue centered on salmon restoration flops, I have built invaluable relationships with people I may never have otherwise.


More on the history of salmon restoration next time…

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Web 2.0!

    I actually use Wordpress for our iLEAP blog (ileap.org/blog). You can do infinitely more with a wordpress blog than a blogger blog, but you do need to know a few things to really make it work. Actually, cutting your teeth on blogger will help you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, it is amazing the doors (or windows) that appear when we finally open ourselves to the possibilities! Yes, internet is an abstract and strange place but through it you can connect with other folks working on the same thing thousands of miles away!! No need to reinvent the wheel all on your own when there's the possibility to collaborate, right?

    So what's next, an iphone?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo,

    I really enjoyed reading your comments here about the importance of community and knowing who and what is available to us. We all have so many aspects of who we are - for instance the woman you connected with who is a regular customer to your coffee shop is doing social media work also. Your comments are inspiring me to connect with other folks around me and find out more about who they are - what possible connections could we make beyond those we already have?
    For instance I'm a "regular" at the Tully's in my neighborhood, and could easily talk to the staff behind the counter to see what else they are interested in.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, the blog I am using for myself for this class is a Wordpress blog (http://environmentspirituality.wordpress.com). I've been blogging for over five years, but Wordpress is pretty new to me. I'm interested to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete