Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thresholds and Vows

All the true vows

are secret vows

the ones we speak out loud

are the ones we break.



There is only one life

you can call your own

and a thousand others

you can call by any name you want.



Hold to the truth you make

every day with your own body,

don't turn your face away.



Hold to your own truth
at the center of the image

you were born with.



Those who do not understand

their destiny will never understand

the friends they have made

nor the work they have chosen

nor the one life that waits

beyond all the others.



By the lake in the wood

in the shadows

you can

whisper that truth

to the quiet reflection

you see in the water.



Whatever you hear from

the water, remember,



it wants you to carry

the sound of its truth on your lips.



Remember,


in this place

no one can hear you



and out of the silence

you can make a promise

it will kill you to break,

that way you'll find

what is real and what is not.



I know what I am saying.

Time almost forsook me

and I looked again.



Seeing my reflection

I broke a promise

and spoke

for the first time

after all these years



in my own voice,



before it was too late

to turn my face again.

- David Whyte, "All the True Vows"






David Whyte’s words were some of the first uttered by Bill Plotkin as he introduced us to his weekend intensive entitled: Cultivating Visionary Leadership and Soul-Infused Artistry in a Time of Global Change. Little did I know or understand at the time (as is always the case, right?) that these words, my whispers, my promises and my reflections would present me with a threshold, that once crossed would mean no turning back.

Bill believes that there are eight levels of personal / soul development (more on that later). He also believes that 75% of Western individuals have become perpetually stuck in their adolescent phase. By no means should you confuse the adolescent psychological phase with that of the physical sort. Yes, they can occur in tandem but physical growth during the adolescent period is more of a natural occurrence and passes with the awkwardness and humility that most of us are familiar with. The psychological aspect of this phase, however, is deeply personal and cultural. Unfortunately for most Westerners and an ever growing contingent of the non-Western world, our market driven constitutional delusions of individuality and isolation are at the heart of our problems culturally and collectively. Bill believes, as do I, that our collective problems stem from our deep seeded individuality and our lack of developing to our full human potential. He pushes further by stating that, “A truly initiated adult knows their place in the world.” Do you know your place in the world? Do I?

Over the next day Bill introduced us to several techniques he uses to check the ego to allow an individual to transcend into a more soulful level of consciousness. We integrated music, art, story, naming (psychological birth), dream work, and wilderness excursions into our day. My most significant learning came from our wilderness excursions. We were given the idea of finding a physical threshold whether it be a stick, log, fence, curb, etc. and cross it knowing that we were attempting to transcend the realities of the ‘real world’ by entering the world of the soul, the underworld. Walking alone in a state park I selected my threshold, crossed it and found a tree willing to listen to my silent truths. As I emerged from my conversation / meditation and stepped over the threshold between the worlds of the soul and reality, I knew something was different. I can’t put into words how I knew, nor do I want to, but I just felt it.

One of the last things I wrote down from that day was something Bill said, “Embodying our own personal mystery is the best action (and perhaps most creative?) we have to create social and cultural change.” Fast forward to now, almost three weeks since my weekend intensive and I’ve mutually ended a five and a half year relationship and reconnected with myself, with my soul. My former partner and I have our own and shared reasons for ending our intimate relationship but undoubtedly, for me, Bill’s work influenced this life event as did the conversations I’ve had recently, some of the realizations I’ve made during my time at Antioch and my own soul screaming for release, for freedom. I’m now staring into a future full of potential, mystery, adventure and unknowing... and I like it.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jamie--I enjoyed reading this post (and the poem) quite a bit. It sounds like you really had a transformative time--that's great.

    I'm interested in this "8 levels of soul development" model that Bill talked about. Without knowing anything about it, I'm curious due to my skepticism for most progressive/staged models of development. In fact, I might read this poem and be a bit surprised that he would take a staged approach given that (from what I think I understand him to be advocating) the soul and spirit are not moving in a linear fashion, teleologically toward something (Laura T, if you're reading this--this piece of teleology is also of importance to your study, methinks); but it is constantly being destroyed and reconstituted/reconstructed through our interface with the world. Yes, there are core elements, but could it be not that we have to move to a higher sense of enlightenment (out of adolescence) but only to understand those truths to be many and situated?

    Anyway, now I'm rambling. So I'll end it there.

    We can talk more about this over coffee--it's always better in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    What you are learning is fascinating for me. I really look forward to knowing more. Best on your new life adventure!

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt,

    I agree, it's always better in person. Let me know when you want to get together.

    I’m quite certain that Bill is skeptical of developmental models as well (even though he’s a psychologist). He’s just recognized patterns and put them into a workable framework for folks. He mentioned that he doesn’t necessarily feel that any one stage is ever complete and that there’s no wrong or right way to go about it. It’s the act of taking the journey that matters... As I read more about it, I’ll be sure to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,

    Fabulous! How wonderful that your Plotkin studies are coinciding with these new beginnings! A great poem, emerging discoveries, and I'm intrigued to see what happens next, what you learn, and where it takes you!

    Like Britt, I am curious about these 8 steps and how Plotkin reconciles such a linear method with his more fluid/circular ideals.

    Thanks for sharing!

    s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie,
    This reminded me of a book I read by Tom Brown Jr a long time ago. He spoke of the same unconnectedness that we have in our lives with regard to ourselves, nature and the spirit world. He spoke of "veils" instead of levels and how to break through each of those veils to communicate with the spirit world. I need to let you borrow that book. It is on my shelf and I will pull it and lend it to you. Sounds like you are on a spiritual journey and that is wonderful!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I've done some more investigating and talking with Rainey and the Bill Plotkin experience is by no means linear. It's a very circular, systemic and wholistic approach to development. My understanding of his ideas were taineted by a weekend based on just a few aspects of his ideas and work. In hindsight, I don't think he took the time to describe his developmental model indepth because it wasn't necessarily the reason we were there and would probably take entire classes to describe and discuss. It's complicated stuff and I'm merely beginning. I hope to clear this up even more as I get more into it. I just wanted to throw that out there and try to clear-up my initial misconceptions about his model of development.

    Thank you all for your kind comments and I appreciate the time and space you've given me over the past week or so. I really do appreciate it. More posts and comments to come from me shortly.

    Cheers,

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete