Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Updated outreach plans with the DRCC

I met with Cari and Sydney yesterday afternoon regarding my planned outreach and interviews of organizations participating in the upcoming Duwamish River Festival and DRCC's member organizations. I'm well aware of exactly why our course syllabi are "living documents" after this meeting.

Sydney is an Americorps member who is assisting Cari with the River Festival by creating a tri-fold display board about the Duwamish Valley Vision plan and organizations that are working in the following areas of implementation: policy and leadership, green infrastructure and environmental education. The focus of part of the display will be on organizations that are working to create Green jobs. In particular I am to contact these organizations via either e-mail and/or phone to discuss with them how they feel their organization's work connects with that of the Duwamish Valley vision plan. My objective with these short interviews is to obtain short quotes and photos that Sydney can use for the display. So my draft interview questions are:

1. Please describe briefly what your organization does, we are seeking quotes and photos from organizations about how your work connects to that of the Duwamish Valley Vision plan. What excites you about Green Jobs?

2. What connects Green Jobs to the EPA superfund cleanup of the Duwamish River?

3. How is the Duwamish affecting the work of your organization? As community members?

Cari was less interested yesterday in my proposed interviews of DRCC coalition members. She stated that this is a pretty busy time for them and that we need to focus on the River festival first. She also suggested that it might be better for me to find some way to talk to several coalition members at once, at future DRCC meetings instead of doing individual interviews.

I am planning to attend the River festival in the afternoon from 2:30 - 4 pm because the festival conflicts with my second residency for my Executive Coaching class. While at the festival I will be talking to attendees and conducting a brief survey to find out people's stories about how they feel the superfund cleanup and river impacts their lives. I'll be creating the questions for that short survey too.

Joyce Yee

3 comments:

  1. I sent these questions to Cari yesterday to review. She commented that "green jobs" is such a mysterious term currently and suggested that I change that term to "family wage jobs" or "livable wage" jobs. Based on her editing of my interview questions here's what I will be asking these organizations:

    1. Please describe the work that your organization is doing regarding increasing 'living wage' or 'family wage' jobs in the Duwamish Valley/South Seattle. We are looking for quotes and/or photos of students or participants we can use for our "Duwamish Vision" implementation booth at our upcoming Duwamish River festival. We would like the quotes and photos to help show the "story" of your organization's work and its connections to the Duwamish Vision plan.

    2. What excites you about increasing local 'living wage' or 'family wage' jobs?

    3. What are the connections between increasing 'living wage' or 'family wage' jobs to the Duwamish river toxic cleanup process?

    4. How does the Duwamish River affect your lives - as an organization? As community members?

    Based on our meeting this Monday we agreed that if I could obtain all quotes and photos for Sydney to use in her display board for the Visioning plan booth by Friday July 31 that would be good. However I will ask organizations to respond to these questions by the preceeding Friday July 24th to allow time for groups to respond!

    Joyce Yee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Joyce. I posted a comment earlier about this very thing, but it doesn't seem to have posted properly! In any event, I think you're on the right track with your edits. I think you might need to cut down on the wordiness of #1 and make it a bit more like #2-4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt,

    Thanks much for your comments about these questions, especially the length of question #1. I'm probably trying to do too much with it and it is more like the basic background of what we want to accomplish with these short interviews with these organizations. In short, I believe #1 is more to frame the dialogue and responses that I'm looking for.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete